This calendar features events relevant to global health from throughout the Rutgers community. To inquire about listing your event, contact Lara De Meo Hoyt at email@example.com.
- This event has passed.
The Healthy Child: Nutrition and Fitness Education for Lifelong Health
May 3 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
The Rutgers New Jersey Healthy Kids Initiative presents the second installment of its symposium series focused on child health. This event will engage nutrition and fitness research and education professionals in dialogues on child nutrition and fitness, including recommendations for vulnerable populations and explorations of various social determinants.
- Attendees will understand the current research on nutrition education and diet quality in vulnerable populations, including expert recommendations.
- Attendees will discuss the information presented in order to generate solutions to challenges posed by community members & academics invested in child health.
- Attendees will be able to identify resources, tools and strategies that will strengthen efforts to communicate and collaborate with students, faculty and colleagues from underserved backgrounds.
- Attendees will examine the ways in which institutional culture, polices, and practices influence recruitment, retention and success of nutrition and dietetic faculty and students from diverse backgrounds.
- Attendees will examine how their personal experiences, history and culture influence the way in which they interact with faculty and students and collaborate with communities.
- Attendees will refine their abilities to collect evaluation/impact data reflective of nutrition education strategies.
- Attendees will understand the urgency to address nutrition education knowledge gaps in sustainable food systems so nutrition educators are better positioned to advance and recommend actions to improve the sustainability of food systems.
- Attendees will receive resources for promoting healthy food and physical activity.
New Jersey Institute for Food, Nutrition, and Health, 61 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ
This event is free. Space is limited, so registration is required. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.