This calendar features events relevant to global health from throughout the Rutgers community. To inquire about listing your event, contact Lara De Meo Hoyt at email@example.com.
- This event has passed.
Global Neurosurgery: Ask Not for Whom the Bell Tolls
September 10, 2020 - September 12, 2020
The landmark 2015 Lancet Commission on Global Surgery stressed the dire need for surgery in a global context while presenting the vast inequities of access to safe, affordable, and quality surgery. In order to educate, innovate, and foster a deeper understanding in the field of global neurosurgery, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Jersey Medical School, and RWJBarnabas Health are sponsoring a three-day virtual symposium, Global Neurosurgery: Ask Not for Whom the Bell Tolls.
The symposium will feature the inaugural Peter W. Carmel Oration by Sir Michael Marmot, a global authority on health inequalities, and will coincide with the administrative council meeting of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies. The symposium overview is available online and in this brochure.
Symposium goals and objectives:
• To create a platform for societies from the developing countries to discuss the current development of neurosurgery in their respective countries, especially related to the education of young neurosurgeons.
• To create an opportunity for all representatives of members’ countries to present regarding neurosurgical services in their respective countries.
• To understand the facilities and level of development in neurosurgery of members’ countries.
• To create a database on the regional neurosurgical services used to formulate long-term strategies to improvise the neurosurgical development in human resources, facilities, and adaptation of current modern technologies.
• To understand the regional health policies and its implications on the delivery of care in neurosurgery.
• To understand the challenges posed due to cultural differences in implementing a uniform standard of care globally.
Virtual symposium access information will be provided to attendees
The symposium is designed for physicians, surgeons, advanced practice nurses, nurses, physician assistants, residents, and fellows working in the fields of internal medicine, hospital medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, physical and rehabilitation medicine, and trauma whose practice focuses on the diagnosis, management, and treatment of patients with neurosurgical conditions. Fees are outlined here. For more information and to register, visit rutgers.cloud-cme.com/GlobalNeurosurgery. or contact the Center for Continuing and Outreach Education at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-972-4267.